* A Study of Head Lice Treatments, June 2011. Study conducted by TNS Consultants. Sponsored by Ego Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd.
Head lice are notoriously difficult to get rid of due to the nature of the head lice life cycle, the minute size of the eggs and the lack of understanding around available treatment options.
When school's back, so are the lice.
It is possible that one of the reasons head lice are seen more widely amongst primary school children when compared to adolescents or adults is because of the way kids play and interact. When the kids are at school, keep the following in mind when it comes to head lice.
1. When your children are at school, take a peak once a week.
2. Head lice don't discriminate. Maintain a sympathetic attitude and avoid stigmatising and blaming families. It may even be worth helping another family out.
3. Head lice crawl very fast and require head to head contact for transmission. They cannot fly or jump.
4. If you are notified about a head lice infestation in your child's hair or you identify this yourself - there is no need to panic! Head into your local pharmacy and find a suitable product for your needs. The MOOV range has treatment products that are easy to use, quick or for sensitive scalps.
5. Ensure all of the pack directions are followed.
6. Return to school once the treatment has begun and active lice are not present.
The aim of our school education program is to help get head lice under control in schools by providing easy information for parents to follow and schools to share. Be part of the solution!
1. Lice can't fly or jump. They transfer by direct head-to-head contact, so it's important to advise students not to swap hats in the playground.
2. Long hair should be tied back in pigtails or a pony tail, making it harder for lice to get access to the hair. Also, don't allow children to share hairbrushes.
3. If you start to see signs of lice, be sure to talk to parents about head lice and suggest they do a quick hair check every night. The quicker you get on top of an infestation, the easier it will be to clear it.
4. Defend when you know head lice are around. MOOV Head Lice Defence Spray can help you defend against head lice.